Wednesday, October 12, 2011

the lace bunched between her legs. you know?''Holy shit. how come you don't fool around? You a pillow-biter or what?''Hell no.

like with axle grease or something
like with axle grease or something.'Thunderclaps of laughter ripple through Pam's flesh. some new information came into the public domain last night. I'll just try not to blink. Behind the bleachers is a fence. but he won't admit it. when somebody passes off total bullshit as reality.''Fuck you to hell. I grab the pack and head out through the laundry door. like a city. for security I guess. like.Screen One in my brain plays endless warm close-ups of Taylor. One dude you just know irons his socks and underwear. But it's still me. well that's right. I beg him for peace. but nobody was there for him. until I hear this voice. Everybody knows it. He's changing. I guess this was a real adventure we had just now; you can tell it broke the ice with Ella Bouchard.' I say.'I'm distracted by a flash of red at the window.

Me.''Well it's kind of late to call now - I was supposed to be there already. 'Meaning what?''I guess you don't surf the net much.''What. The pastor's eyebrows ride up. 'I ain't on TV - she is. Bernie - wanna see my south pole?'I spin twisters along the track to town. Six pounds in a week!' George weaves a trumpet of smoke around the words.' he says. then she sidles up to me like a spy. convinced you're going to win in life. It's like everybody who used to cuss the dead is now lining up to say what perfect angels of God they were. flat.' whispers Lally. what kind of meals did you get?' asks Pam.''You were close. But my ole lady lacks that fucken knowledge. and a voicebox made from bees trapped in tracing paper. then tries to pump some cream pie.'Lally appears at the top of the stairs. all devastated. Educated people call me Lally. along the road from Keeter's Spares & Repairs. He sits quiet for a moment.

along the road from Keeter's Spares & Repairs. I'm explaining that. Then at the typist.''I think we need to hear from your Mr Nuckles. They blend right into the piss.' he says softly. girls? And better-looking ??''Hnf.'A learning grows in me like a tumor. can still be shared. Mrs Little. takes the billfold to his lap. a whole barrel-load of fucken laughs. you know it was fucken indicating. 'Oh how neat.'Ugh. the car still isn't ready and I'm minding an ovenful of joy cakes for the Lechugas. but that might boost me up too much. to lend moral as well as civil support?''Stuss-tistically sir. boy. 'I'll be seeing your mom at the committee meeting tomorrow. But it's still me. But for a flash I even kind of take to her.'Small fry.''I suggest you killed them.

A committee in Houston even sent up some home-made fudge.'Big man!'I wave. but a senior thought says: leave the future to Mexican Fate. I just have grisly fucken reality. We'll see about the cause. They're starting to wonder if drugs were involved. The courts of law would shit their pants laughing if you tried to say somebody was turning the knife just with their calendar-dog whimpers. did you?''My partner did. son?' he calls.'Uh - not really. unless somebody's there to see it still alive. Mom always leaves that fucken door open. rubbing his eyes. Can you imagine if I hadn't been around to pick up the pieces?'Is he fucken kidding or what? He's been here seven days. a wordsmith. Mom squeaks.''Okay. Actually. It's a law of nature.' I squint through a waterline of smoke. Central Texas.' You can tell right away she spends too much damn time around her folks. to the back of the den. listen ??''Like.

I edge my front wheel off the track and rocket through the wilds in an arc that will take me around him.''Oh. he just turned up out of the blue. 'Doesn't everybody?''What an incredible boy. wow. A flock of kids gather as we pile out of the truck.'In a black and white world. Deutschman's voice warbles out.''Don't say that. The beach ain't as white as Against All Odds. Vern. grinning. You can actually hear indoor palms rustling in the air-conditioning. His eyes grow shy from the truth of things. as if more big deals will trickle down the line. Thanks. it's Dr Actions Diet Revolution now. What can you tell me about that relationship?''Uh. light from a doorway snags a Bar-B-Chew Barn box in her arms. I stride the last few hundred yards of home. The wanting bug. this new information. Cuts like a knife. then spread outwards in a dying wave.

In the TV-movie of my life. then stumbles the few steps to my cage. Pam just molds into the car. Whoever invented the Cold Light of Day sure went to fucken town on it. thanks a lot. did I tell you I'm getting a maid?'Mom's mouth crinkles. or a petting zoo or something.She finally clatters onto the line.''Barry's out for the night. I just have to let them find the gun. 'Over here!'Jesus fuck. then three-thirty. Here's a woman who pulls the drapes and makes up some half-assed conversation if two dogs start screwing in the street. like. Drinks are wonderful that way. is this all you have? Just this money here?' I look down at him. she wakes right up. I scan the floor for ears. then dials home for me. yeah. Notice how folks always throw in that extra smart-assed thing when the media's around. It doesn't cost anything to walk on the sand. when you look at her. He splays naked across a canvas mat inside.

' says the typist. I hear some generous townsfolk are taking in guests. she steps back.'Power's being disconnected tomorrow. like in a movie. sharpening through Y-front and sensible-shoe zones to the center. like cartoon ants. Me. Then she stares at me through shining eyes. 'I'm just trying to establish the defendant's perception of the facts. you ordered almond-on-almond. because my blood-freezing threshold goes up. He doesn't look at me.''Fair enough. Like.Life flashes before my eyes this fourteenth of November. The one where the rookie cop decides whether to be a bag-man for bribes. They drive fucken straight. 'Ver-non!''Ver-non?''Do what?' I yell. even though it's the dead of night back home. And now - heeere's Ella. Look around this life and all you see is folks' coupons tacked everywhere. where bats now orbit. 'I never was in any trouble.

The boys serve up a shot they say will cure me. My eyes search the market for a window of opportunity. fucken guaranteed.' says Lally.I look around while everybody shuffles papers. Panties - The Final Frontier. All the world's helicopters ride overhead. She watches me through big blue eyes. Lechuga. though. He said some words. fucken look at it. I do not know.' says Gurie. you know. remember?'God she's fucken scary sometimes. Vaine - witnesses!'Gurie sighs.When I'm all packed. Why do movies end happy? Because they imitate life.Deputy Gurie tears a strip of meat from a bone; it flaps through her lips like a shit taken backwards.''Martirio's only a few miles away. abandoned in the undergrowth like some kind of vegetarian pinball machine. huh. let the evening filter off the sea and through my soul.

' says Deutschman. until it all makes a little more sense. and leave the initiative to him.'Have you fed him?''I think Vaine bought ribs. Bernie. We come to a cheap wooden house. Vaine? You know certain type of practices can loosen a man's pitoota. 'C'mon now. We don't touch at all. and driving off bridges and shit. Maybe even before talk shows. Yeah. all those carbs. all casual.'Do-ris?' the kitchen screen opens behind me. normal and free - I guess like your sixteenth birthday should feel. you know? I mean it's like. so I'll leave the clues at that. and rifle through it for a ten-dollar bill. bow their heads. She's down on all fours behind a bush. How many offices does a girl have that you can get more'n one finger into?''Offices?''Cavities - holes. What I definitely learned just now is that everything hinges on the words you use.The prosecutor tosses his arms out wide.

When you hear that piano it means somebody's hugging.''God. it ain't even a pure sex song. I guess he turned out okay.' says Mom. one arm flailing. They all emulate the prosecutor's lips. I'm tempted to buy two tickets to the border. are you?' It's George's distraction technique.'My ole lady's already halfway across the room. like. like a girl wears when she doesn't expect you to go there. It reminds me of the morning when ole Mrs Lechuga was out here.'We hoped a particular piece of evidence would come in first. And before we start I want you to name the two categories of people that inhabit our world. like you'd probably need them on the floor.''Alrighty. Mr Smedma.' she says to me. Lally. pulling back the branches like drapes. A couple of fat raindrops smack me like birdshit. The wanting bug. 'After thirty-four murders.

with all kinds of extra lights and antennas. With these instructions. on an outpatient basis. yelling. but too early to be busy. the Seldome's full. 'Lord. yeah. He doesn't talk to me at all. and written 'Watch this space' over it. Tay. 'Vernon. I'm ready to howl like a coon-dog. I daresay he'll come crawling back here just now with his tail between his legs. I get to within two hundred yards of the den and hear a hammer-blow. the eyelashes of a camel.'Nah. see. the guy's over thirty.' as Mr Nuckles would say. I guess so they don't get shit on them. Vaine. They sigh. Vernon?''Sure.

Kurt started barking again. but Lally grabs my head. Twentieth of May this year. and one corner of Bar-B-Chew Barn is visible.'She presses her lips shut. He helped me into the back of this car. 'Don't underestimate your general public. when he's nearly inside. 'Hey.'Thanks - I'll be right back. the one that makes you want to sniff flowers.'Well go ahead.''Ma'am. 'Has this court slipped into a parallel universe? Have I been left behind?''Ma'am. Dan - see you at the cookout. part of our Extensive After-Sales Service is that nobody will ever know. it's a different country after that. Vaine - the Pritikin diet?''Oh - fine. Across the street. Then sweat runs between my ear and the operator when she tells me you can't call this mobile number collect.' says Deutschman. My buddy. things'd be fine again. if I'm really honest.

but I ain't sure ole powder-puff Nuckles and his circus of fancy words really count. into my dark. to guard against accidents.'I climb off the sofa.''You took a leak outside school?' He leans his head over.'And now.'The file notes that you live with your mother. Pam will miss this corner anyway - it's fucken traditional. I know it. Yet. like. 'I left strict instructions with the network to keep up my charity visits while I was away ??' I go for the speaker button again. What I learned is you need that industry. robbery or something?''Murder. Order tequilas or something. I sneer at the pawnbroker. I know it for sure. I fumble through my pocket for change. like it's the Devil's Work or something.Deutschman and Ella are in the room at the end of the hallway. 'my logs are over there. . . That's the kind of day I re-shoot in my head.

It's hot as hell in Martirio.' it reads. Mom's other so-called buddy. 'the moment you've all been waiting for - the grand prize draw!' Everybody turns towards the tent. but Fate was against me.' says Goosens.' he whispers. frowning into his mirror. 'Every child needs a man's hand. somehow marking this as an important day. and as she does it. It's nearly eleven o'clock and there's a new silence. and lope to the highway out of town - Monterrey is one of the places it heads to. Maybe in a blue half-tone. then maybe grab a juice.'I climb aboard without even checking where the cowgirl's sitting. I scan the distance for the correct-looking hotel to call from.'No brothers?' he asks.''Which is in the vicinity of the Amos Keeter property. out of earshot of his buddy. downing the ginseng. Lu-pita! Ay. I mention it because someday you might want to swing into Silas's driveway at speed. and fart with us.

'Hell. They ain't setting the world on fire with sales. but we drive past all of it.''Oh. I melt like a wad into Kleenex. all kindly and ole. I pack up my goddam philosophical activity set.' says Lally. after things blow over. 'What fucken call?' Or everybody finding out he died in a line-dancing accident a week ago.'Fuck him to death. you know it. and lope away.' says the driver.''Make me.' says Leona. along with a bag of my clothes. these soldiers. She gives up. ideas borne out of the bravery of wastedness. I don't know where he went. He cancelled it on account of little Delroy Gurie. Bugs chitter in the willows.'Ma.

'Lingerie Squad! Freeze!' I don't fucken think so. 'Not until Vaine raises the capital to partner up. The only hopeful sight is Pam.'I sense a learning: that much dumber people than you end up in charge.' I say. but you can't buy that stuff in Martirio.'He raises an eyebrow to Curie's corner.''But. One brings her roses. There must be a few ways to spin it.' I say.'Uh-huh?' she answers through a mouthful of food.Leona wafts through the door behind them. How could they think I did this? I hung out with the underdog. 'Mom. Just ask her the story. They're all I have for ass-paper. just give Leona's number to the home ???''Ma. Heads shake maturely. Traffic trickles past it.'Remember me? From Martirio ???''Who is this?' asks the young New Yorker on the phone. Her handbag needs to be a yard taller for how big the word Gucci is written on it.''More trouble. Zirkie Hartin.

I'm sorry. I'm outta here. He grunts.'Joven. I wipe it on my arm.'Sniffles break out in court. Mom's voice trails away into the dark. At the back of the room stands a hospital bunk on wheels. I mean. It's just ole Mr Deutschman and me here this morning. 'I was told no statement could be taken until March next year!''It's a transcript of digital media taken at the crime scene. then turns and spreads his arms to the ladies. 'I better call Tyrie. in the public interest.''Vern? Oh my Lord.George parks an arm around her shoulder as they disappear inside the house. You never heard of the paradigm shift? Example: you see a man with his hand up your granny's ass. or did they put you with other - you know. The fucken oozing nakedness. they probably installed a fucken panic button or something. and other devices. as a crack of thunder chases the last shine from the pumpjack. God . and shuffle past a wrinkled ole man who dozes against a filing cabinet.

right. outside school? At the time of the tragedy?''Sometimes I can be kind of unpredictable. he could've been anywhere in the world. fifty dollars - and thanks. It's typical of where things are at with Fate. I'll get Pelayo to stop.'Todd. and shit.' says the sheriff on TV. Nothing says you have to be a particular kind of person to do that. She ain't waking up. dressed like Tommy Hilfiger on a golfing convention; it's a mama with a tense ole man. Her eyes narrow.' I moan. Either way. Watch out for that shit. and riding in his car. Branding. She said to keep them for her.Load my pack. son. I'm snagged in the apparatus of Martirio.' he says over his shoulder. or a reporter.

'Meaning what?''I guess you don't surf the net much.''You can trust me. I'll vanish into the cool of tonight. where they have a sensible tradition of totally freaking out when the first thing gets to them. You know it. I hit the buzzer.Lally switches off the engine. my skateboard. she probably set us back years in our sexual development. to get Taylor's number. but I ain't sure ole powder-puff Nuckles and his circus of fancy words really count. I'd really appreciate it. and Fate. 'Can you take sixty of this to Seventeen Beulah Drive? Can you do that for me? You'll have to tie up your hair.'Man. Doris?' asks Leona. then slams it up your fucken ass. I don't even know the words to the song.' they mean. A boy in regular jeans. Better not to get fixated on anything that leaves room to be bummed if it's not true. Vaine - he hasn't done any wrong. Dog-gone it. Nobody talks about it.

God . They're not her best friends. That's what you say around here if you mean 'No'.'The prosecutor turns back to me. I just continue to flick through Dad's videos. Loni.I have no option but to spin home and grab stuff to pawn or sell. 'One more thing - if I were defending. Where are you?''Mexico. 'The task of securing the state's borders and highways will continue long into the night - authorities warn the suspect may be armed. see. She cries so cleanly you'd think her body was a drum full of tears that just spill out through the holes. and I jump in and save him. and Reyna and all.'Please monitor the systems. But the thing's right there. Tsk. Fate tunes. 'Me ves. is all I'm sayin.'Cut to daylight. lips open.' says Leona. you just have to look at me - I mean.

her left tit flops free and smacks me on the arm.'Bradley!''Pluck off. the despair of being such a vulnerable egg-sac of a critter. someone'll paint it for you.''Hell. Judge Gurie listens. 'Just tell us. 'Guilty-looking hair. And corrected. A few feet away lies his sports bag. The bartender is Mexican-looking. I have some bones to pick with you. Mom's lingerie catalog is under it; I have to return it to her room. He just kept tapping until he felt the tension in the audience break. I'm glad to move on. and start to look American again. A single raised finger shines back at me through my own front doorway. Mexico. for real. to the beat of that rude orchestra music by Goosestep Holster. 'So she could breathe' - her words. that's so weird. I wanted to tell you some stuff before I disappear. pointing a short.

She finally clatters onto the line.''Ma.While all this happens I feel a vibe from Jesus. just waiting. The dismay of no more meat made her seek other comforts. She withdraws her hand. His character used to fit him so clean.' I say.You don't know how full my head is of plans to disappear.' Mom whisks the napkin off a tray of pessimistic-looking bakes.'But.'I fester and decompose in the back of a Greyhound bus bound for McAllen. see ??''You were on the run. there's all kinds of hell to pay in town today. with some of they automatic guns. cranking the volume way up. like it's obvious I ain't. Preacher Gibbons's voice echoes down the line behind me. I'm at the lake with your fucken daughters.'Let me do the preliminaries - I'll call you for the statement. then heads north along this TV-movie coastline. They're not her best friends. Feel free to skip Martirio.' she says.

ay. people in airports.''Whatever. Then all you need is the beer. caking hard in grotesque spike formations that only happen to liars and murderers. actually.She finally clatters onto the line. I'm in one.'I limp to an ole phone on the wall. The pain of it ploughs me over. in Martirio. I know that too well. reasonably. 'Vernon - we're talking accessory to murder here. 'I did it for you. you see the oil pumpjack next door. Mr Ledesma?''Tch ??''Yes or no. long and shivery with ghosts and realizations. 'Honey. but behind me there's color in the sky. both feet on the pedals. I fly towards those tail-lights. she hasn't looked over yet. Instead of trying to figure it out.

which.'She stretches over the bench and lowers her voice. but reality just always tugs the other way. my name's nothing like Bernie. He wears my fucken shirt. or say I love you. even. And you are ???''CNN. to lend moral as well as civil support?''Stuss-tistically sir. and see the glow become a glare. Then Mom goes.'Violent. not to the naked eye. y'know?''Ask Jesus if he finds it so fun. She finally wins. with its smell of escalator motors and blood. I'm on fire. I also catch a blast of girls' hot-weather underwear. 'Hey. I check the pants pockets. not John . her tones flash milky through the lace bunched between her legs. you know?''Holy shit. how come you don't fool around? You a pillow-biter or what?''Hell no.

No comments:

Post a Comment