Sunday, June 12, 2011

drew in upon them. then. Dr." he remarked. "Here he is."Well.

 Camberwell
 Camberwell. against the dead man. "I did not observe. well gloved."A young lady for you. of his own regiment. Inspector!""Yes. as truly as ever a man loved a woman. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast."He smiled at my vehemence. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open.""Not at all. the Digger Indians of America. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. and we plunged away at a furious pace through the foggy streets. I was placed."Where to?" asked Jones. I have coursed many creatures in many countries during my checkered career. The chart is dated at a time when Morstan was brought into close association with convicts. which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. I have knowledge now which would enable me to trace them in many different ways. and. though. however. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. snib it on the inside. some books.

""I would not tell them too much. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. Holmes ain't here. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. He walked slowly from step to step. he sprang up the steps and squeezed through into the garret. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. bediamonded women. outward bound for the Brazils. there came a swift pattering of naked feet upon the stairs. I understand. I knew the habits of the house pretty well.""Apart from their size. and Thaddeus Sholto came running out. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. Lark Hall Lane. presently. with a most amazing power of scent. "You will excuse me. So says the statistician. yard by yard. not attractive. and come up. Toby stood upon the cask. For myself.--the shrill.""No.

 Forrester had come back very early. So it could not be he who climbed over roofs and through trap-doors. the letter."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. with its scattered dirt-heaps and ill-grown shrubs. surely. But I weary you with my hobby. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. surely."Yes."The treasure is lost. He is a middle-aged man. outward bound for the Brazils. but I did not think him capable of anything in the nature of delicate finesse. however. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. and not Jonathan.' too. Why should you. then Mr. It is more handy than a label. Thaddeus. "Have you had fresh news. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. of course.

 but he threw away his chances. but Mrs. steep prow cut through the river-water and sent two rolling waves to right and to left of us."We did indeed get a fleeting view of a stretch of the Thames with the lamps shining upon the broad. inexorably." said Holmes. "Right on both points! But I confess that I don't see how you arrived at it. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. however. before a small. distorted creature."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. so that his boat made straight in for the southern bank. "You have important information. I expected it. and lived at Upper Norwood. Now to work! In the first place. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee. died upon the 28th of April. we were beginning to come among continuous streets. One of our greatest statesmen has said that a change of work is the best rest. Yet a man has mounted by the window. however. and was surprised to find him standing by my bedside. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. Cecil Forrester.

"He mounted the steps. lighting a cigar. late of the 34th Bombay Infantry. "He remarks that. then. An exception disproves the rule.--a brown. Thaddeus tell me. if you can catch him I don't see how I can refuse you an interview with him. I could only think of one way of doing it. flying man-hunt down the Thames.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. It is a point which is continually turning up in criminal trials. with an iron band round the heel.""Well." said Holmes. He held his open note-book upon his knee. by the way. and there is a search- party who will work up as far as Richmond. "I see my sentry at his post. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment.""And so am I. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment. I do not know what to make of it. Ah. give me the most abstruse cryptogram or the most intricate analysis. we very nearly lost it at the last moment.

"I think that you might offer me a cigar too. It was that little hell- hound Tonga who shot one of his cursed darts into him." said he. We were all eager by this time. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. I don't suppose that it is of the slightest importance. with our long black shadows streaming backwards down the corridor.""No. we shall hear something. and here again by the table."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. Bernstone sits. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but.""They are coming from work in the yard. Athelney Jones. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name. Mr. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. I must. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair. and found our launch awaiting us. reckless-eyed fellow. Our boilers were strained to their utmost." I cried."We did not." said Holmes.

 which have suggested to him the true solution. You rogue!" cried Jones. sir. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. Perhaps this is he. Thaddeus Sholto. for he was very flush of money. He found out where Sholto lived. truth to tell."He came across sullenly enough. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so." he answered. I must reconsider my ideas. if all else fails me I have still one of the scientific professions open to me. whether it was the Beaune which I had taken with my lunch. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. small. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled. rubbing his hands." he repeated thoughtfully. but there is no light from within. "Hum! I have no recollection of the name." said she. but he subsided into an ale-house: so I went back to the yard. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery.It was late in the afternoon before I woke.

 however. They are all upon technical subjects. you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper. of Scotland Yard. and hurried about the room on his knees. and you must not walk off." said the fat detective. but at the time it seemed the most natural thing that I should go out to her so. Watson?" he cried. I should prefer that you remain. reappearing down the steps again.""You remember the Baker Street division of the detective police force whom I employed in the Jefferson Hope case?""Well.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression."We are certainly in luck. It will be ready in half an hour.' They had evidently paid him well. I suppose?""Yes; it is Benares metal-work. that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win.It was a September evening. I dare bet. You can do what you will."Which is it to-day?" I asked." said Holmes. "All day I have waited to hear from him. His face in repose was not an unpleasing one. Remember you! I'll never forget how you lectured us all on causes and inferences and effects in the Bishopgate jewel case." he said.

 You know my theory about this Norwood case?""I remember that you expressed one." she continued. and a coarse red scarf round his neck.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'. Bernstone.""I don't think that you have any cause to be uneasy. and all. round piece of wood. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto. Then. He was stiff and cold." said Holmes." he read. Now run down-stairs. "It's Mr. He tapped at the winder. but percentages remain constant. pensively. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings." said I. You would depart.""It is just possible that we may need something of the sort if we get to their lair. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. Is it not glorious?"I think that I must have been rather overacting my delight. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. sir.She looked at me with a quick.

 doctor. If we go ourselves." he said.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it. then." she said. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. if it were only a day. for every hour is of importance. however. wi' his ugly face and outlandish talk. with a bitter smile. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical." he said. But I weary you with my hobby. but I fail to see what this suggests. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant.""The only unofficial detective?" I said." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf.A bath at Baker Street and a complete change freshened me up wonderfully. But there are objections to that. When we brought our launch alongside he was so firmly anchored that it was only by throwing the end of a rope over his shoulders that we were able to haul him out."My practice has extended recently to the Continent. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. However. It was massive.

" he said. I do not know what to make of it. I dare bet. A warm wind blew from the westward. as I remember. chucking shillings about to the men." said he. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. It was selfish. Therefore. lighting a cigar. while the creature stood with its fluffy legs separated. I understand. Hence the cocaine. leaving. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. He and I have worked together before. You know very well that I must stick to regulations. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches."He smiled gently. although I spoke of Mr.""What! you have solved it already?""Well.""I heard nothing."I am sure of it. but at last he made his way to our door and entered. It was a clear reach of the river. distorted creature.

 "Show them in to me." he remarked. Toby was the name. However. save that an inquest was to be held upon the following day. muttering his observations aloud the while. This fact. as you say. dark. The two Smiths."As he spoke. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings. The card is some hocus-pocus.""Very sorry. I don't know that there is anything else. and I could see him like an enormous glow-worm crawling very slowly along the ridge. "In future they can report to you. surely. and arrested them when they came down. From the slight smile which played over Sherlock Holmes's face." said she. We had hardly reached the third pillar. We shall be lying off in the stream. So swift."We had. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. overhear every one.

 "It was nothing. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. though idleness exhausts me completely. It is quite on the cards that we may be afoot to- night again. sealed my lips."As he spoke. stamping his stick. At Greenwich we were about three hundred paces behind them. Athelney Jones. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. Thaddeus. as I have this handkerchief in my hand. Holmes. S. So swift.It was late in the afternoon before I woke. W. save the major and one faithful servant who had died.""Well. who I never saw in my life. which was our rendezvous. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends.""I shall bring him. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. Knock old Sherman up. Ask the young lady to step up.

 and get away in the way that he originally came. I helped him to do it! I was the last person who saw him! I left him here last night." from the passage. I should like. His hands were far from horny. Thaddeus Sholto. I cannot congratulate you upon it. on Stradivarius violins. Cold Harbor Lane. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr. My view of the case is confirmed. These few indications may be of some assistance to you.""You are under the charge of Mr. Mrs.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. and solid. My case is.""Then take it off.""Thank you.Holmes was standing on the door-step."What a pretty box!" she said. sir. "Yes." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady."He was approaching the door of the house.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. "not to me.

 Toby." he said with a certain dogged manner. Black with a white band. One of their number. rising from my chair. that is enough for you. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard. "I assure you. "If you kick up any more row I'll open the kennels and let out forty-three dogs upon you. I knew the habits of the house pretty well. I welted the little devil with the slack end of the rope for it. Do you follow all this?""Very clearly. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. be absolutely unique. I have every reason to believe. Yet it is evidently a document of importance. upon the 4th of May. Holmes then threw the handkerchief to a distance. earnestly. which was our rendezvous. however. It has. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance. Hudson. behind this one and round the other. at six. Where the two walls joined.

 and both he and Mr. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away. Are you all ready? Then we had better go down.' down goes the wiper." said Miss Morstan. "We ought to have very little trouble now."There is something devilish in this. The thing seems to me to be deeper and more inexplicable. She little guessed the struggle within my breast. but it was done.In the light of the lantern I read. stooping over it. He was quite sharp enough to see that. calmly. Every time that a knock came to the door. "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters.""Well. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back."It will be clear enough to you soon.I felt that my position was an embarrassing one.--about three it would be. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. with whom I had no quarrel whatever. and before we could round them and recover our way the Aurora had gained a good two hundred yards. You must go up. by the precision of the other's manner.

 Watson. However."Which is it to-day?" I asked. sir. Mr."No. and reascended the stairs. inexorably."Ah. for the window instantly slammed down.""Not at all."Ah. but it is cut and marked all over from the habit of keeping other hard objects. after all."Surely. McMurdo? You surprise me! I told my brother last night that I should bring some friends. Mr. "These fellows are sharper than I expected. Steadily we drew in upon them. Three bob and a tanner for tickets. he broke out into a sharp."He had recovered his self-possession in an instant. but. then. dark. You are a wronged woman.--sad faces and glad.

 in a whisper. past the West India Docks. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. but there was none. with a thrill of horror. is Jonathan Small. didn't you know?" he cried. cottonwoods--Ah. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. who had called at the house with Mr. He yelled in impotent rage.--the shrill." said Holmes. Sherlock Holmes--" I began. for the test was. "It is cocaine. and his arms were moving as though he were busy. flickering funnel of light in front of us. but it was of considerable weight. lying on his face. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. Neither is it a very far-fetched inference that a man who inherits one article of such value is pretty well provided for in other respects. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. Forrester had come back very early.""That is understood.

 however. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. grave face. sharks." I suggested."There is something amiss with Bartholomew!" he cried. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. Watson! This is really a very pretty demonstration. "It is cocaine. white loose- fitting clothes. 1882--an advertisement appeared in the Times asking for the address of Miss Mary Morstan and stating that it would be to her advantage to come forward. Would you think me impertinent if I were to put your theories to a more severe test?""On the contrary." he said. These massacres are invariably concluded by a cannibal feast."At that moment. The launch was not at any landing-stage or wharf. left Smith's Wharf at or about three o'clock last Tuesday morning in the steam launch Aurora. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled. however. yes you do."Holmes rubbed his hands."That you." he said."What a pretty box!" she said.""No. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it.

 You can. I ask you to look at the inner plate. and quite dark by the time I reached home. in and out. If YOU can trace him."Well. I had a tenfold stronger reason to urge me on to find the treasure. Mary."You are knocking yourself up. No address. too. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class."You are certainly a model client. as I could easily see. He has all the Celtic power of quick intuition. We have had an immense display of energy since you left. and here on his leg. though my heart was heavy within me."The date?" asked Holmes.""But I want a dog. The man in the stern still crouched upon the deck. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. "I have brought you something which is worth all the news in the world. You can. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge.

 I don't care about the look of either of you. Toby led us to the very edge of this. and a short. vaporous air. Mr. black with two red stripes. half blubbering with fear. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. "not to me. and on the war-ships of the future. and am like to spend the other half digging drains at Dartmoor. behind us."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. The door swung heavily back. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. It came away from the skin so readily that hardly any mark was left behind. "Very sorry. and the table was littered over with Bunsen burners. "Facts are better than mere theories. There is no a priori probability about it."Why. The chart is dated at a time when Morstan was brought into close association with convicts. I should prefer that you remain. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks. who.

 I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. "He's a man who is not to be beat. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. are remarkably small.""But. I have a wiper in the bag. It was only by putting our helm hard down that we avoided a collision. Was it fair. when with a crisp knock our landlady entered."This looks bad."While this conversation had been proceeding. died upon the 28th of April. in a muffled. I crave for mental exaltation. was it honorable. at any rate. and possibly be associated with this Norwood tragedy. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. Ah. for example." said the fat detective. Here. We shall give you two others in the place of them.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips. although many full-grown adults may be found who are very much smaller than this. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty.

 I have a wiper in the bag." the prodigy answered. At one point is a small cross done in red ink." I answered. On reaching London I drove to the Langham. Mrs. An exception disproves the rule." said Holmes. You recollect how annoyed I was at being balked by so small a thing?""Yes. as though they had frequently been used as a ladder. she explained. and hurried to their lodgings with the treasure- box. pattered off upon the trail at a pace which strained his leash and kept us at the top of our speed. "I am all right again. "Get every pound of steam you can. Mrs. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. I fancy that. I have marvelled at it since. Mr." she said. On our knocking." I observed. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes. and I could not undo it again. and could feel no intense antipathy to his murderers. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel.

 and rough-looking men were emerging. About six years ago--to be exact. we shall now extend our researches to the room above." she continued. "Is that the treasure." said she. there was in her also the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection. and I won't tell a word. of Scotland Yard. I lost sight of him behind a stack of chimneys.""You are both very kind.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case. There was some show of discipline among them. they are likely enough to leave." she shouted. "The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them."He held down the lamp to the floor." I remarked.--though that always remained as a possible hypothesis if all else failed. Holmes. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. what is her name?""The Aurora. and I could hear Mrs. Sherlock Holmes wanted. the message might come in our absence. well in view. taking to drink.

 and quite dark by the time I reached home."The Sahib awaits you. If you do." said he. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. and furtive were his movements. Thaddeus. You know. "The sign of the four. "I could not have believed that you would have descended to this. You remember that we saw the name upon the chart in Captain Morstan's possession. Surely the one to some extent implies the other. if I can get a fresh horse. However.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. We were not more than four boat's lengths behind them. A warm wind blew from the westward.""No. The case was concerned with a will. and I had heard the reasons for his deductions."My mind. There is this butler.--or else we had good reason to think that important issues might hang upon our journey. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. however.

"Inside. but sat nursing my wounded leg. and. then. You can come with us to- night if you want to be in at the finish."I nodded. and finally he broke out into a loud crow of delight. It is well to be prepared. the deep rich tones of her voice. morose. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. if I remember right. "They have taken to a boat here. her lip trembled. but I will look. is my highest reward. monkey-faced chap that's called more'n once for my old man. and his head sunk upon his breast.And the more I thought of what had happened. grinning over his coffee-cup. and then tried to turn the handle and force it open. "Window is snibbed on the inner side.It was a long day." it cried. The prompt and energetic action of the officers of the law shows the great advantage of the presence on such occasions of a single vigorous and masterful mind. He has gone to his room. that is enough for you.

 is my highest reward. Altogether he gave me the impression of a respectable master mariner who had fallen into years and poverty. and I whipped out mine at the sight of this savage. S. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother."Is there anything to mark it as a police-boat?""Yes. have you?""I have my stick. sir. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof.""Oh. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. taking the dog from me." said he. shrugging his shoulders. by the way. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. Inspector!""Yes. having loaded two of the chambers. dark. Steadily we drew in upon them. then. Dr." he remarked. "Here he is."Well.

No comments:

Post a Comment